The Guelph Mercury was established in 1867, much like Canada itself - making it one of the oldest broadsheet daily newspapers in Ontario. It has always been printed on site, at its various locations around the city's downtown core. The Mercury has humble roots; its history tracing back to a weekly, known as the Advertiser, that started in 1854. At the time, Guelph was a hamlet of fewer than 2,000 people, with no telegraph service and dirt roads. Today the Guelph Mercury is an award-winning paper at the local, provincial and national level. The paper prides itself on following its motto: 'Intensely local.'